Barili, Cebu: Magnificence of Mantayupan Falls
It seems that almost every town in southern Cebu is endowed with their own waterfalls. So far, we’ve seen the majesty of Oslob’s Tumalog Falls and the astonishing azure water of Kawasan Falls in Badian. Our last stop, before we finally put a close to the 3-day journey, takes us to the highest waterfalls in all of Cebu – this Mantayupan Falls of Barili.
The double-tiered Mantayupan Falls is nestled on the foot of Barili’s rugged mountains which was slightly modified into a park. These mild developments paved convenience for visitors getting from the first falls to the second. Though man-made and minor installations are present, Mantayupan Falls succeeds in retaining its natural and unspoilt environment which many are probably inclined to agree, should remain this way.
Feel the might of Mantayupan Falls as it plunges about a hundred meters from its peak to the basin. The drop creates a thundering roar that echoes within an enclave of greens. It fills the atmosphere with a cooling mists, or maybe a dip into the cold basin would be much better. The harmony in our senses takes us a step closer into Mother Nature’s arms.
Rain poured heavily the night before these photos were taken which resulted to a murky catch basin in Mantayupan but on a pleasant day, the waters could be as clear as crystal. But for me, murky or clear, Mantayupan Falls raw beauty is simply spectacle in this southern region which deserves a visit even for an abrupt time. And yeah, it’s Cebu‘s highest waterfalls that’s why it’s on my list.
1. Directions to Mantayupan Falls: From South Bus Terminal, take a Ceres Bus bound for BATO VIA BARILI which passes by the Barili town proper (Note, this is important: Don’t take the bus bound for BATO via OSLOB because that bus will pass by on the eastern side. Barili is on the west). Get off at Shamrock bakery (which is also the bus stopover). Take a habal-habal ride to Mantayupan Falls. Travel time from Cebu City to Mantayupan is approximately 2 hours.
2. Entrance to Mantayupan costs P25.00/person
3. The trail is well-established and really easy but be careful when wet, the path gets a bit slippery.
4. More destinations in Biyaheng Cebu
5. This is my 6th post in the Southern Cebu Sojourn series.
6. Like Biyaherong Barat on Facebook.
7. Follow @BiyaherongBarat on Twitter
8. Enjoy and have a safe trip.